Tuesday 20 January 2009

Subconscious leads to California...

Maybe it is true, maybe you are actually destined to head some places in your life through subconscious decisions and influences. This thought occurred to me this morning in the shower after a discovery yesterday. I take very little notice (from an academic perspective) in environmental history and geoarchaeology outwith Europe for the simple fact, there is too much information and it is best to focus on one arena. However around two years ago, I added a book to my wish list looking at the environmental history of California. Seems strange why this was done, but for some reason it was.

The films which I watched when I was a kid were mainly set in California. My favourites included Back to the Future (fictional Hill Valley, California), Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (San Dimas, California), Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1940's Los Angeles). The only exception really is The Goonies which was set in Oregon, the state above California! Can you see the recurring historical dimension here, fitting in with a recurring location? Favourite films, an interesting subject area fitting in with my academic interest in industrial development and settlement evolution. An author, based at UCLA, developed one of the main hypotheses that I'm challenging in my PhD, surely an interesting fellow and worthy of a meeting. This place seems fantastic, but surely that doesn't justify a 14-hour 'plane journey...

Then along she came...and it's off to California I go...

It just goes to show that there's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be!

3 comments:

Rue Five said...

You missed out the ultimate California movie, "California Man".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104187/

Stuart said...

Excellent Jules, I forgot about that, such a brilliant film. Encierro Man to them though! Squeeze the ju-uice!

Danielle said...

Where are you getting this 'Encierro Man' nonsense?? En-see-no man! It's easy! Man, I forgot about that movie. A relic from childhood.

Nice last line there! When did you add that? You should get that tattooed on your brain or something...