Wednesday 31 December 2008

My Favourite Pictures of the Year

Time to pick out my favourite pictures of the year. This isn't just about the quality of the image, but of the significance and what it means to me.

Number 5 - East Mainland, Orkney. This has been my laptop background since June. I absolutely loved going to Orkney, such a quiet place and I met some interesting people!

Number 4 - A Self-Timed photo from Skalavik, Iceland when I was there in August. A picture of me in my natural environment; waterproofs covered in mud, spade in hand, out in the open. Over the horizon is the Denmark Strait and Greenland. Proof that I was carrying an extra pound or two then as well!

Number 3 - Iceland again, this time making sure I wasn't getting caught driving on the wrong side of the road again! Marker pen and masking tape to the inside of the 4x4!

Number 2 - A piece of burnt stone, around 2/5 of a mm in size, from the fishing site on the shores of Kinloch Hourn, Scotland. Proof that the occupants of this site were using it for an industrial purpose. This was a site I worked on in 2007 but done the labwork for early this year. 2008 was the year I finally got my head round micromorphology!
Number 1 - Murrayfield, 8th March 2008. I got a phonecall a few days before saying I got tickets for the Calcutta Cup, so off I went with Lindsey. I was hungover from the night before, but to go from the low of a hangover to the sheer joy of beating your oldest, fiercest rivals has to be one of the best feelings I've ever had. It took days to wipe the smile off my face!

No comments: