Tuesday 2 December 2008

Blood blood blood!

Tuesday 2nd December, 2008. 12.36pm. Crush Hall, Pathfoot, University of Stirling. This was the time and place I signed up to give blood for the very first time. Within the hour, the (just under a) pint was out, no pain involved and (so far) no side effects! I got to lie down for half an hour and read a journal on economic organisation in pre-modern Iceland!

Why hadn't I given blood before? I don't really know, but it may stem from the numerous injections I received as a youth from the dentist, massive needles into the gum, as uncomfortable as you can imagine. Incidentally, the crack and removal of perfectly healthy teeth didn't bother me. When I was working in Viewforth for Forth Valley GIS, I went to the mobile donation unit but only because I wanted a prolonged lunch break, but they were full. After seeing the leaflet yesterday, I decided there was nothing stopping me. I didn't need to travel far, i'm not really bothered about needles now and apparently the biscuit choice has moved from the 20th century digestives to shortbread, Tunnock's Teacakes and Special K bars.

I've done it, and i'll be going back to donate again in the future. Don't listen to the wifie on the advert saying "I'm talking to you", don't do it because the advert on the telly says so, do it because if I can donate blood, anyone can. Who knows, it might be you who gets operated on, or knows of a premature birth needing three teaspoonfuls.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Apparently giving blood is something worth blogging about?
http://lia-antimony.livejournal.com/703.html
Don't go poking around - seriously, it's all crap! And I was 18, so be nice.